This story begins with my love of art & museums and Facebook. So one of my passions is art. I am now a proud member of the Seattle Art Museum. And I liked the SAM on Facebook. Last week I saw a post about a Photo Walk and smart camera phone lesson in the Sculpture Park, "the best camera is the one on you." So I joined the event and asked my Mom to watch the girls.
As the week progressed, I got more and more tired. School started. And waking up at 5 am for my hour of quiet, prayer, meditation and blogging was killing me! Waking up kids who had been staying up til midnight in their other home all summer at 6 am was not fun. But I can only control what is on my side of the street, so I did the best we could with what we had. By Friday night I wasn't sure I would make the trip across the Sound on the ferry, and through an evening event at 5:30. But I decided to get a good nights rest and make the decision in the morning.
I woke up feeling like my batteries were recharged and I wanted to try to get to the Sculpture Park & Photo Walk. The kids slept in. We had a family meeting, where we consult about chores, plans for the day/weekend/upcoming week. We unpacked their suitcases from their summer with Dad. I started laundry. Then we headed out to the pet super store for some hamster paraphernalia. Returning just in time for me to run off to catch the ferry!
When I am running late in the car, I make a determined effort to take deep breaths and drive safely. I have learned that when I am running late the majority of the time, so is the rest of my Universe. There is no need to rush myself or take dangerous chances, like driving too fast. Chuckles. As I drove closer to the ferry I weighed my options, plan A: park my car and walk on or Plan B: drive on. I was cutting it close on time and so I decided I would drive on. The added safety of driving in the City when I was alone in the evening was reassuring. (On my last walk-on ferry trip to the City I got a weird feeling from a guy and quickly decided to head home early rather than later and went straight to the ferry on well populated streets)
When I arrived at the ferry line, the lot was full and the toll booths weren't letting cars through. When they finally allowed cars forward again, I made it through. And once I was parked on the ferry I was one of the last cars loaded. I had followed my intuition. And the Universe orchestrated everything.
As we were about to dock and unload I got a text from a friend in Anchorage who had time to drop off a meal to a sick friend. I had been trying all day to coordinate with friends in Anchorage to either drop off food or help with the kids, so our friend could rest. This was the first person able to help today. So I quickly made a phone call and got that all sorted out. Again I was so amazed at how using texting and Facebook can bring community together.
When I arrived at the Sculpture park, the large red Eagle dominated the horizon. A huge metal piece. Walking on the gravel, taking in the forms of the lines of the concrete, chuckling at the roof of a house stuck in the ground, I wandered looking for the Photo Walk group. I found a large group of people (FB says 100 people were going) near the eagle. A young European American lady was handing out postcards with info on the photo contest and labels as name tags. Minutes later a young Asian American gentleman gathered us together, shared about the contest and introduced a few representatives of photography groups in Seattle, asked us to talk to 5 people we didn't know and sent us out to take pictures. A friend who lives in the City was able to make it, found me and brought her sister. So that was great, to be spend the beautiful evening with friends.
I talked to 3 people I didn't know. Not bad, right? I learned how to use a hash tag from Kate Bailey. I inquired about the photography fundamentals listed in the FB post and found out the space we were supposed to have access to was double booked with a wedding. And got a tip from Jessi to try shooting from a different perspective. I had a fabulous time walking around the park, taking pictures and getting to know friends better.
The Sound was breathtaking. The sun glistening on the water was getting low. The shadows were getting longer. We decided to walk along the waterfront as the sun was setting. We stopped along the way to take pictures and ate dinner at Red Robin. The ladies escorted me to a block from my garage parked car and I was off to catch the ferry home.
A day full of juxting! My traditional art of Mothering, Caring for the Sick, Investing in New Friends, Feeding my Passions, and Self Nurturing all woven together with the assistance of a mobile device. Gunalcheesh to the Creator for a perfect and blessed day.
Challenge: think about what arts you weave together using your mobile device. What art would you like to develop through your mobile device? What would you consider a traditional art?
P.S. I liked my photos from the photo walk until I was humbled by the photos posted at Instagram #bemobile_k5. Chuckles....
No comments:
Post a Comment