Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Is being an ER magnet genetic? Or the long term effects of adrenaline & toxic stress.

     So last night as I comforted my 7 year old in the ER waiting area, she said I'm scared. Her body was shaking.  She had fell off her sister's bed playing and fell onto a box of pencils.  The cut looked deep, so I knew we were headed to the ER.  She asked as I packed a bag, what could happen at the ER and I probably answered too honestly saying, she may need stitches.  She started crying even harder.  In the car, she said I'm more scared of the stitches than my foot hurts.  I was impressed she could identify and express her feelings so clearly. At the ER, she kept saying I'm scared.  Each time I would validate her, saying its ok to be scared.  I explained how she knew how ERs work (she has a history of asthma attacks and severe nut allergies), they are a scary place and her adrenaline is pumping.  
     I have been wondering about long term affects of adrenaline on our body and our brain for months now.  Last year sometime watching UWtv I learned about toxic stress.  Googling toxic stress, Harvard University's  Center on the Development says  there are three types of stress, a positive stress that is temporary and actually has a positive effect on the brain, a fast run down a ski slope is one example given.  Tolerable stress like a car accident.  It's longer but still temporary, it has an end.  Then toxic stress "strong, frequent and/or prolonged adversity."  Toxic stress is very unhealthy.
     When I saw the UWtv program I recognized I had lived in toxic stress for a long time, I would say 11 years.   8 years of supporting a spouse through medical school, residency and raising 2 children basically on my own (he was in the hospital 80 hours a week & exhausted when he was home), coping in  an unhealthy marriage followed by a separation and divorce and 2 years of post divorce co-parenting hell.  The toxic stress stopped when I moved out of state to be closer to my family for support as a single Mom.
     Googling long term effects of adrenaline, the Portland Clinic of Holistic Health says:

"Adrenalin makes the blood flow towards your muscles, heart, and brain, and away from your skin and digestive tract.  Your heart beats rapidly and forcefully increasing heart rate and blood pressure.  While this is happening, your eyes dilate and your blood vessels constrict.  Finally, the sugar store in your liver is converted to glucose for quick energy.  All of this helps you get away from the wild beast!!"

Long term secretion of adrenaline can cause increases in blood pressure, poor digestion including absorption of vital nutrients, changes the hormonal rhythm that regulates sleep.  Cortisol disruption with increased stress promotes weight gain. 

     The Harvard University Center on Development says:

"When toxic stress response occurs continually, or is triggered by multiple sources, it can have a cumulative toll on an individual’s physical and mental health—for a lifetime. The more adverse experiences in childhood, the greater the likelihood of developmental delays and later health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, substance abuse, and depression. Research also indicates that supportive, responsive relationships with caring adults as early in life as possible can prevent or reverse the damaging effects of toxic stress response."

     I have had just a little over a year without toxic stress in my life.  After 11 years, it has taken Al-Anon, counseling, making self care a priority, resting, doing things that make me joyful, & the love and support of family and friends to change my life.  Little by little, day by day.

Challenge:  if you think you may be experiencing toxic stress or have at some point in your life, consider reading the articles below.  If you think someone you love and care about is experiencing toxic stress, talk to them about it or share this blog, or the articles below.  I rearranged the 7 tips from the Holistic Health site, in the order I think they are in importance!

PS  My daughter had an X-ray and has a piece of the pencil deep in her foot, so she will have a procedure to remove it today.  After her initial tears passed, she was in a good mood.  Some sugar via apple juice, numbing cream and Kipper via Netflix, all helped to balance her out.  

7 Tips for healthier happier Adrenalline glands (rearranged by me)

3.  Work to identify stressors. Work? Family? Finances? All of the above?  Use a counselor or try an Al-Anon meeting.
1. Be active a 10 minute walk can affect your mood
2. Add vitamin B & C and herbal medicines like ginseng. 
4. Avoid sugar, refined carbs and excessive caffeine
5. Acupuncture and Biothermal therapy
6. Stress management techniques like yoga (wii yoga rocks) meditation and journaling
7. Make time to do something that makes you joyful. (I say joy jump starts my heart!)


Portland Clinic of Holistic Health
http://www.holistichealthpc.com/the-health-effects-of-stress/

Harvard University
http://developingchild.harvard.edu/topics/science_of_early_childhood/toxic_stress_response/

No comments:

Post a Comment