So yesterday a Facebook friend in Anchorage posted an online news article that an 11 year old had been hit by a car while trying to ride a bike across the highway to get to a shopping center. If you know Anchorage, the Tikahtnu Commons has Target, Best Buy, Kohl's, a hardware store (can't remember which one), a movie theater and tons of small shops. The friend also shared that she KNEW this was gonna happen, and she had called the Police multiple times. The article says the Police stress the importance of using designated walkways and bike paths to ensure safety.
We all know human nature. We also know the choices we make when on foot versus when we are in a car. And some of us may know what life is like when your family does not own a car. So what should the conversation about this situation be? Who is responsible? Who is legally liable? Who has the power to make a difference and Do The Right Thing?
A few years ago, I noticed a spot on campus in downtown Ann Arbor, MI where construction was blocking the sight of the pedestrian traffic, at mid block, not at a cross walk. But this is where ALL the students crossed. I KNEW it was trouble waiting to happen. And one evening I saw a student hit by a car. I called the police and it had been reported and help was on the way. I called the hospital later to check on him, but because of privacy, I couldn't find out who he was. But I learned he was ok. I had wondered how far his family was and if he had anyone to look after him.
I did not stop there. Not too long before two female international students had been killed crossing a dark and poorly lit Main Street after going to the Mosque. My heart ached for their families and for their countries who lost two of their brightest stars so tragically, sending them to school at University of Michigan. I really believed there was an easy solution to this problem. Another construction site on campus just blocks away had a barrier that made foot traffic walk down past the construction where they could see traffic. That's all that was needed here. I wrote a letter to the editor (it was printed) and talked to someone at the newspaper. After that I called City hall and tried to speak to the person who would be legally liable. Within a short time, maybe a week, the new barricade was up and foot traffic was forced to walk down the block to where they could see traffic clearly. Now I never knew if I was the one who made the difference. But I felt like I had done my part. And students were safer from making their own poor choices. Chuckles.
So yesterday after I saw this accident in Anchorage on Facebook, I google Target and talked to a manager. I am a loyal Target customer. One stop shopping has been a saving grace to this mother. And now they even have food! I google Tikahtnu Commons and find a leasing agents number and leave a voice mail. I see the property is owned by CIRI, an Alaska Native Corporation and leave a message for the Communications Director. I am determined to talk to a real person. So I call the general line and talk to Dave explaining the situation of the bike accident, who transfers me to Real Estate and I leave a voicemail. When I haven't heard back from anyone in an hour, I email the Communications Director. And I get a call from him almost as soon as I send it. He takes a minute to read my email. And he directs me to the Property Management company and will forward my email to Real Estate.
So what does citizenship mean? Does it mean when we see an accident waiting to happen, that we wait for it to happen? When an accident does happen do we blame only the kid for making a poor choice? His parents? Or do we ask both the owners of the property and the City government to have a discussion about this dangerous situation to Do The Right Thing and prevent more accidents from happening in the future?
Challenge. I ask you to email the Communications Director at info@ciri.com and ask him for Ciri, the owners of the property, to consider building a fence that makes customers GO THE LONG WAY AROUND and prevent further accidents at this dangerous foot traffic location. If others voice their concern as citizens, they will take more notice.
No comments:
Post a Comment