Sunday, August 25, 2013

"You should write a book..."

82.  O My Servant!
The best of men are they that earn a livelihood by their calling and spend upon themselves and their kindred for the love of God, The Lord of all worlds.

Yesterday, while counseling a dear friend through a life storm, she said, "You should write a book."  So today I am starting a blog.  For those of you who know me,  I LOVE to write.  So I consider that to be one of my callings.  Not too long ago, I was in a devastating life storm and really could not see my way out of the darkness.  I read an article in a magazine that said when thinking about a job or career you should think about what you are doing when you are happy.

Sadly, my life had been so full of toxic stress for so long, I seriously could not remember what activities truly made me happy.  At the time I was a stay at home Mom and had been for 8 years, my spouse at the time was largely absent due to his education and raising our children and running the household was my responsibility.  I couldn't think of what made me happy.  I knew I had a passion for roller coasters, but I didn't see myself working in that field.  

Weeks later, one morning waking up, I thought I love museums!  I love looking at art.  Classic paintings.  Contemporary art.  Ancient art.  I could spend hours and hours lost in a museum.  Well, I haven't worked in a museum yet.  But I was so thrilled to discover one of my passions.  One that didn't have to do with raising my girls or running a household.  And ever since that day, I honor my love of art and museums.  

I chose to be a stay at home Mom. And I do love it. I understand it is a privilege and a sacrifice.  But at some point I had really lost myself.  I supported and cared for my husband. I was the primary care giver of our children. After that, I had no energy or time for taking care of me.  Slowly I have learned to take care of my family to the best of my ability, I have to make taking care of my needs a priority.  When I am rested, rejuvenated and inspired by the beauty of life, I am a better mother and woman.  

So I challenge you to write down your callings, your passions.  And make a commitment to giving yourself a little time each day for one of them.  Carve out 30 minutes just for you.  And if that's too hard start with 15.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, and it makes me happy to read your words. I feel that art and creative expression are healing for us on more than a personal level. Clearly, when you follow your passion and write, it's like ripples in a pond. Your positive words and uplifting encouragement will travel outward, ever-widening, and you may not ever know their full effect on community. I believe we have to create not only for our own healing, but for the healing of humanity. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gunalcheesh/Thank you for your words of beauty and encouragement. I appreciate them deeply. I have always loved to write, and now I am beginning the journey of a blog. I do apologize for the amount of time to reply, I will need to schedule in time for responding to comments. Again the feedback is wonderful!

      Delete