Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I vote EVERY DAY with my dollar

So on FaceBook through the Occupy Wall Street page, I saw that 30 cities will strike against Fast Food tomorrow 8-29-2013 because of low wages.  I will be avoiding fast food that day.   I invite you to join me  and to share with your friends.

Why you ask?  Because of the concept that we vote with every dollar we spend.  When we choose to spend our $5 in a drive thru we are voting that we agree with what kind of food they serve and how they pay and treat their workers.  In the movie Food Inc. a low income family is shown feeding the family through a drive thru because it is cheap and easy, but the father is suffering from health issues.  So for now I avoid fast food in general (though not 100%) because I don't believe in the quality of food they serve or the low wages of workers.  And when I choose to go through a drive thru I choose Wendy's because they offer natural lemonade sweetened with sugar, not high fructose corn syrup.  

Low wage earners subsidize our lifestyle.  That's a concept I learned in a book, Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America by Barbara Ehrenreich.  When we buy something at Walmart or buy a meal from fast food, it is the workers who make it so cheap because they do not get paid fairly.  After reading that book several years ago, I made a point to avoid Walmart as much as possible.  It was easier then because I had options close by.  Today when I want to avoid Walmart 10 minutes away from my home, I have to drive 20.  And Walmart can woo you in with their significantly lower prices, but I can see the longer term investment of voting with my dollar.  Do I support their low wages? No.  So I spend my money elsewhere where the same item costs more.

Many people do not have the choice.  Including minimum wage earners.  But I have been lucky enough to have the choice.  If it means I have less money at the end of the month, I'm ok with that.  Or if I have to give up something I want cause it won't fit in my budget, I'm ok with that.  Maybe I will buy  fewer of my favorite $4 coffees, chuckles.

To avoid Fast Food, I have to plan ahead.  Keeping snack food and water in the car.  Knowing where not so fast options are and be willing to buy more expensive food.  

On 8-29-2013 we have a chance to work together to show Fast Food we do care about fair wages, when we all come together and make our voice heard in Unity, it's a louder statement than my in general avoidance of Fast Food.  What if just 10% of us who buy Fast Food regularly, don't on 8-29-2013, do you think the corporations will notice?  I think so, computers track everything these days.  What if the 99% could boycott Fast Food for one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment