Saturday, September 19, 2015

My Longhouse is called Daybreak Star...A Nation of Many Tribes.

My Tribe is a Nation of many Tribes. My homeland is all of Turtle Island. My village is the village of Seattle. My Longhouse is called Daybreak Star. My Chiefs are Chief Seattle, Chief Joseph, Crazy Horse and Geronimo.

My fellow villagers growing up are members and descendants of Tribes from all across our homelands because we have intermarried- into all the Tribes of Turtle Island and across our global village. 
My cousins are a rainbow of the shades of human. 

My clan is the Killer Whales of Old Metlakata where I have never been. Because Creator sent my family on a journey. To New Metlakata. Where my heart is always on the beach. 

I am a child of the Tlingit Nation born 3 rd generation in the Coast Salish territory. My infancy and preschool years were spent in Suquamish/Duwamish territory and in Little Boston. Under the shelter of the shadows of Old Man House. It may have been burnt down by a government agent. But it's spirit still shelters us all. 

My friends of my youth were the descendants and relatives of Chief Joseph. Their story taught me the atrocities our Nation of many Tribes has suffered, has survived. And that we are still trying to look for our children and care for our elders post battle. 

I was educated by the Puyallup Tribe. Chief Leschi hung on a lie. I was taught and trained to be a leader. I was sent to Washington, D.C.  To UNM to study journalism . To the Northwest Indian youth conferences. All before I was 17. These were gifts no public school would have ever given me. I was taught I didn't have to say the pledge of allegiance to start my day. I was taught our culture from a Tlingit teacher. I was mentored by Native women and men. 

I went to my Ancestral home for the first time when I was 16. This is when I learned what being Tlingit meant for the first time. That the land loves me. That my Ancestors energy and love vibrates through the mountains, the sea, the forests and they were all happy we were home after a journey my great-grandmothers all started when they married Filipino men and migrated south. 

I was raised in a refugee camp. In Seattle Washington. I was raised with Indians all post battle. But I didn't know that. All I knew was my heart beats stronger when ever I hear the drums of our pow wows. When ever I hear the bells on the men's outfits. I am a member of a Nation of Many Tribes because our homelands were stolen and we were scattered abroad. 

In 1992 I was sent to two gatherings of Baha'is. One in Haifa, Israel to observe the 100th Anniversary of the passing of Baha'u'llah. 3,000 people gathered from across the globe. 19 people from each country with a Baha'i community. And I represented Alaska. At 18.  The other one in NYC with 30,000 Baha'is from across the planet. This taught me the true wealth of humanity rests in the gifts of each of our Peoples. And when we all gather together to work on bettering the world, nothing will stop us. 

In 1995 I lived a school year in the North of Siberia. This taught me what it is like to live without money. To live on what your family grows in your garden. To live without electricity. I didn't live in the village but I taught there. I saw a school where almost all the teachers were Indigenous. The Superintendent was an Indigenous woman. No one has money but they all had access to college education. The doctors in the clinic were Indigenous. The employees of the Atate government were Indigenous. Blows my mind. 

This taught me the intention of my country the USA. To keep college education away from Indian children. To keep us in poverty. To keep us disempowered. To keep us colonized. 

In 2001 I became a mother. And that has been my profession for 14 years. An honor and a privilege. 

I also survived domestic violence. I have been on a journey of healing for 7 years. That is what has brought me back to the land of the Suquamish. Where my sister has married into the Tribe. My nieces and nephews are now descendants of this territory. That is when I learned that the Spirit of Old Man House is alive and shelters us all. When I was exhausted post trauma and I found shelter and a family to love us, here. The Lawrence Clan. 

What does it mean to be human beings today?  

This is defined mostly by our prison wardens. How much blood of ONE Tribe do you have?  

No. We are a Tribe of Many Nations. And this is our Homeland. And we will not be colonized any more. We will not sit quietly when you break the treaties your Ancestors signed with no intention of keeping their word.  We will not be quiet as our children suffer in schools full of the cancer of Racism. We will not be quiet when our Elders are in need. We will not be quiet when our Veterans/warriors aren't being honored for their sacrifice and cared for properly post battle. We will not be quiet when you break your own laws. 

Yes. We all have Ancestral homelands. And we all have Tribal Sovereignty. But Creator has created a new Nation. And we are stronger and more full of potential than ever before. As we decolonize and become aware of the strength of Indian Country, we will heal our Peoples. And we will lead the global village to our true destiny which is Peace. 

This is what our Sacred Stories tell us. A time will come when the family of Humankind will gather as one and build peace and prosperity for all. 

This is why the world is in labor pains. Birthing a day of peace. We will say no to injustice. We will build systems of justice. And our children's children's children will live in peace. 

This will be done as we practice our Ancient Sacred ways of life and apply them to our communities to heal. And we teach others how to heal by using the Sacred. 



No comments:

Post a Comment