Sunday, January 18, 2015

Storms and Blessings, Lessons from the Journey of Life

I've been unable to write for what seems like months. I love to write. Normally I can pick a topic and start a conversation. But lately nothing has motivated me enough to actually sit down and write.  I keep thinking, "What could I write about?  My passions of Northwest Coast Art, helping to educate the community about Domestic Violence, my traffic light system of gauging well-being?" Nothing could bring me to write.  I could write maybe a paragraph and then, nothing.  

I knew it was tied to the stress in my life. I have been exhausted since August. So I accepted it.  I hoped that one day I'd feel strong enough to write again. It takes a lot of strength and courage to write and then to share it with others.  What if no one reads it!  What if someone doesn't agree with me?  Chuckles. I've learned that I write because I love to write. It gives me something. It makes me feel like I'm doing something that I'm gifted at.  And once in a while a friend will tell me how much they like my writing which always gives me more courage to continue to write, especially the challenging topics.

So this morning as I waited for the water kettle to heat up for my cup of coffee, I decided I'd write today for 30 minutes. I miss writing!  As I pondered what to write about, I thought about the Journey of Life.  Bingo! Makes sense since it is this journey that has cause me not to be able to write.  So the big question we all hear is, "What is the purpose of life?"  

Raised in Indian Country as a Bahai, I've always felt I knew that answer.  A prayer I learned young taught me the Creator "hast created me to know Thee and to love Thee."  To know and love our Higher Power, it is a Life Journey.  I also was taught to believe in a life after this physical life on Mother Earth and our learning continues.  So for me, "what is the meaning of this Journey we call life?"

Why did the Creator choose the family I was born into?  Why was I raised the way I was raised?  As an adult, I have learned that by being born in the USA, I won the lottery of birth.  If I was born in a third world country, I may not have clean water to drink, a toilet in my home or have the opportunity to go to school.  In some countries, I would not have the freedom of religion guaranteed or the right to free speech.

Reflecting on the last 6 years of my journey, I've learned some profound lessons.  My storms have taught me that learning how to know the Creator and how to love the Creator is all about learning about how to know myself and how to love myself and about how my relationship with the Creator affects that process.

By turning to the Creator first, by asking for guidance, protection, grace and mercy, I have learned that it is given.  Always.  It may not be how I would like to see it given, but it is always  manifested perfectly. In 2008, at 34 years old my whole life was turned upside down.  Everything I understood and believed in was tested. It is only the skill of prayer that my mother and grandmothers taught me that has allowed me to survive, to stay sane.  Some months were so dark and torturous all I could do was plead, "Please God save me."  

As the challenges came, I always turned to our Sacred Writings. I meditated about how to apply them to my life and even when it conflicted with others Interpretations I knew I had the right to my own Interpretation and it gave me courage to stand my ground and create healthy boundaries.  This connection to the Creator strengthens me.  By turning toward the Creator, attempting to apply the Sacred Teachings into my life, I was given confidence and faith.  

The Creator has designed a Journey perfectly for me.  It comes with storms that test my skills and give me no choice but to master guiding my Canoe through rough waters. Through every storm tools and concepts are sent to help me. I am stronger and wiser after every storm.  Blessings, the most amazing blessings, are sent to inspire me and guide me, to confirm I am on the right path.  

My journey is about strengthening my relationship with the Creator.

What are some of the lessons and skills you have learned on your journey?  What is your purpose of life?


No comments:

Post a Comment