I've decided I am boycotting Hollywood for a year. I will not rent, purchase or go to a theater to see a movie unless there is at least one person of color in a lead or supporting role.
I was so angry when I found out The Butler did not get a single Oscar nomination. When I googled to see what others were saying, I found out Fruitvale Station is another African American story that was denied recognition from the Academy. I personally believe 42 is one of the best movies I have EVER seen, if not the BEST. It too was denied any Oscar recognition in 2013.
So as the movie Food INC. taught me, I vote with every dollar I spend. (I now vote to buy as much organic food as possible within my budget). So I am using the same principle here. I will no longer support with my hard earned money the Hollywood producers who make films without any diversity! I am so tired of watching movie after movie with ONLY European descendants. There is no excuse in 2014 for any movie not to have at least a supporting role with someone of African, Asian, Hispanic or Native American descent.
In the extras of Love Actually produced by an amazingly talented group from England, they tell how an African descendant criticized them for de-coloring Knotting Hill in the movie Knotting Hill obviously this neighborhood naturally has diversity, but when they shot the film they "forgot" the people of color, making it look mono-ethnic, when in reality it is NOT. When they produced Love Actually, they gave their critic a cameo role. If you know the movie, this historically bad deejay in the wedding reception is him.
So what will my small boycott of Hollywood without people of color do? Well, I know it will make me feel better. And if by some chance any of you will join me and spread the word, maybe someone will hear us and decide to make movies that actually represent the rich cultural diversity of our amazing country, built on the. Homeland of the Indigenous and immigrants from every culture and country on planet Earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment